Sunday 28 October 2012

3D Modelling

I have been attempting to learn 3ds max this semester to give me a bit more freedom in modelling as well as an ability to create simple animations (which i think will be useful for presentation this semester). I have struggled figuring out the best way in which to model my leaf form (water catchment/shade device)... Here are some images of process:


Using various modifiers within 3ds max was a bit hit and miss as to the outcome (mostly just due to my limited knowledge at this stage)

I tried drawing the lines in illustrator that i wanted for the leaf panels, then importing into 3ds max as a dwg in an attempt to get a more specific outcome.


This worked reasonably well but when imported into archicad (where i had modeled some of the more simple aspects because it is the program i am most comfortable with) it slowed down the file significantly. 


I am particularly adamant in keeping the structural form of the leaf separate to the 'skin' as i think this is more practical in terms of construction and future repairs/changes, as well as the aesthetic that comes with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment